*Due to the classified nature of our work, U.S. citizenship is required. *
Job Title: Chief Engineer
Location: Sunnyvale, CA, El Segundo, CA, Nashua, NH, Mukilteo, WA, or Remote (U.S.)
Spectranetix, a small fast-growing company that develops and provides advanced electronic systems for the U.S. Department of Defense, is looking for a Chief Engineer to lead our various engineering teams. We recently joined with Pacific Defense and our growth has accelerating.
Spectranetix designs and builds advanced, military standards-based, modular open systems architecture (MOSA) systems. These systems conform to the Army’s C4ISR Modular Open Suite of Standards (CMOSS) and the Air Force’s Sensor Open Systems Architecture (SOSA) Standard. These CMAOSS/SOSA systems are used for multi-mission electronic warfare, tactical communications, signals intelligence, cyber-EW, high speed computing or simultaneous combinations of these capabilities.
Who are we looking for?
Spectranetix is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Chief Engineer with outstanding technical, organizational and communication skills to join our small, elite team working in Sunnyvale, CA or El Segundo, CA. Our high-performance computing systems are used for a variety of applications such as signals intelligence, secure/covert digital communications, threat detection, RF jammers, radio direction finding. To build these systems, we utilize state of the art hardware components such as FPGAs, SoCs, GPUs, and advanced software and firmware techniques that allow intuitive command and control of systems as well as data collection and processing. The selected candidate will be a key technical leader in a fast-paced environment that includes systems in all phases of the product lifecycle from conceptual development and detailed design through manufacturing, qualification testing, and post-delivery support. The candidate will work with the customer and project managers to help define requirements, architecture, and program plans to satisfy unique technical goals. The candidate will be responsible for program technical direction including developing the system architecture, leading key design trade studies, and providing subject matter expertise during the detailed design, integration, and test activities. This position will help ensure the engineering team (of which they are a member) and the project manager (with whom they work closely with) are on the same page and able to overcome challenges (both technical and programmatic) that may arise. The candidate will also work with proposal managers to propose novel technical approaches to emerging challenges. The candidate should demonstrate experience with a variety of technical disciplines including RF, complex electronics, and embedded systems.
- Manages and responsible for all technical activities on the program.
- Conducts technical design reviews.
- Balance requirements, budget, and schedule to ensure overall program success.
- Approves all requirements or design changes (Change Board)
- Expert in their mission/campaign area and is the ultimate engineering authority on the program.
- Reports to SEIT Manager.
- Ensure all team members understand their roles and are held accountable for meeting commitments.
- Drive change management processes, manage stakeholder expectations, communicate impact, and execute changes if applicable
- Facilitate program communication and information flow by maintaining project files, utilizing JIRA, Confluence, and other relevant tools
- Facilitate communication among production, engineering, quality, management, suppliers, and customers.
- Assess, monitor, document, and communicate on project scope and status, risks, and key learnings to project stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary program interface for charter and approval of technical reviews across the program to and from the Customer communities and facilitate integration across same.
- Engage in architecture definition, technology development and insertion, and technical trades with an emphasis on commonality, best use of resources, continuous process improvement to remove cost while preserving compliance, generation and adherence to best practices and achieving best value to the corporation and the acquisition Customer.
- Ensure that the intent and/or letter of engineering standards are followed and that designs are compliant to both Customer and industry requirements as deemed appropriate to meet Customer imperatives and in accordance with agreements with the acquisition customer and will have ultimate accountability for compliance with technical standards inclusive of establishing effective processes for engineering, mission assurance, design assurance, parts-processes-materials programs, Quality, Audit and internal integration, test and verification activities.
- Minimum 5-year Hardware/Software/Embedded engineering experience including: High Speed Digital systems involving FPGAs, GPUs, and/or ARM Processors
- Prior experience with VPX/OpenVPX/VME or similar systems is a big plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including creating and delivering presentations
- A capacity to thrive in a self-motivated environment that has few boundaries and at-times conflicting priorities
- Ability to identify technical, cost, and schedule risks/opportunities and to engage technical support appropriately
- A desire to find, explore, and solve new and challenging problems
- A proven capacity to contribute to multidisciplinary engineering projects
- Experience in R&D and proposal activities and development to customer requirements
- Experience and knowledge of Government contracts, subcontracts, interdivisional work agreements, finance and business operations methods, and techniques.
- Experience managing and overseeing the development of engineering documentation and procedures including Configuration Management and Risk Management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage key personnel, integration of systems engineering scope and engage administrative personnel to achieve contract and corporate objectives while ensuring adherence to Spectranetix and Government directives, policies, regulations, laws and contracts obligations
- Minimum requirement: BS in EE, CS, or relevant discipline
- MS in EE, CS, or a relevant discipline preferred